Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
My whole life I struggled to eat veggies, even to this day Chris pretty much has to beg me to eat them. I'm not a big fan of eating them raw and ever since Bennett has been in the picture I have tried to find recipes that include veggies so he grows up knowing that veggies don't have to be lame. I have three comfort food (turned vegetarian) recipes that are in our regular rotation of meals. I've shared this one and this one with you and now I introduce...
(FYI I wouldn't share just any vegetarian recipe with you. These are actually tasty!)
Martha Stewart's Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 zucchini (about 1 pound total), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (19 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed (I used TJ's sweet roasted corn and it added a lot of flavor)
- We put avocado and a little sour cream on top and it was delish!
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrots, chili powder, and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, and 1 cup water. Simmer until slightly thickened and carrots are soft, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Vegetarian Black-Bean Chili - Martha Stewart Recipes