This past weekend we did absolutely nothing...
and it was bliss!

We haven't had a weekend without Chris playing at church/working/other family commitments in months.

We pretty much stayed at home all weekend.
I even broke out the good ol' DSLR.
(I forgot how good that thing is!)


B is obsessed with Dr. Seuss books.
Every morning and evening he sifts through his bookshelf and pulls out every Dr. Seuss book.
He would be totally cool with it if we did nothing else all day, everyday.


Last night was Bennett's third Halloween, but it was the first one where we actually did anything.
I was excited to see all of the trick or treaters but I also was excited to take B out trick or treating...it's a delicate balance. 
We handed out Play-Dough until about 7pm then turned all of the lights off while we trick or treated for about 45 minutes.
 We pulled B in the wagon so he could sit under a blanket and stay warm between houses. I don't think he would have lasted as long if he had to walk the whole time. 

our treats:
(I thought I was being lame for not handing out candy, but the kids seemed really excited about it) 
 first house:
 last house:
 here is a better picture of his costume from earlier in the week:
He definitely scored extra candy due to the "cuteness factor."
We practiced saying"trick or treat" over the last few weeks, but when we got up to the doors I would prompt him and say "what do you say Bennett" and he would respond with "please."
He stood there and smiled at the people as they kept putting more candy in his bag.
When they were done, he would say "thank you" and walk away.

Now he probably thinks that if you walk up to someone's house he'll get candy now.
Awesome.

I also don't know if I can bring myself to give my 2 year old any of the candy he got last night.
He thinks organic, fat free, Fig Newmans are cookies...and I'd kind of like to keep it that way. 
(I'm talking to you mom!)
What's a mom to do?

Note to self for next year: get glow sticks for each of us so people don't pity us and give us theirs. 
We are such amateurs.

8 comments

  1. Emily on November 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM

    The Play-Dough is the best idea ever! Good thinking.

     
  2. Whim Wham Life on November 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

    Love the candy-alternative you guys passed out:-) Kids get enough candy as is...unless their parents eat all of it, which is what I'll probably do for the first (many) years of trick or treating:-) xoxo

     
  3. Sarah Frills4Thrills on November 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM

    Play-Doh?! That is the best idea ever!

     
  4. Kira on November 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM

    I think the play-dough was a fantastic idea!

    We walked down to our church and got some candy & chili dogs at the event they were having, but we mostly sat it out this year. I'm excited to dress Pearl up next year!

     
  5. Lauren @The Little Things We Do.... on November 1, 2011 at 9:20 PM

    cutest. gnome. ever. i love that B probably thinks "please" = people giving him candy now :).

    oh...and playdough...totally better than candy!

     
  6. Em-Jae on November 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM

    "Please!" too stinkin' cute! (Not to mention adorably well-mannered, of course.)

    I LOVE the Play-Doh idea :]

     
  7. Unknown on November 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM

    I want to comment on so many things! A) Fabulous shots of the everyday life... that is the type of photography that will be treasured forever by your son! B) Play-doh... awesome! C) Your little gnome=Best costume EVER.

     
  8. Jamie on November 6, 2011 at 6:31 PM

    Giving out play dough?!? Genious.

     


Post a Comment

Leave me some love!